Tuesday, May 27, 2008

We Have a Milkman



Move over, people--we have a Milkman. And he delivers milk.

I recently discovered that we have a first-rate, local, organic farm that delivers fresh dairy right to your porch. The Noris Dairy is run by an Austrian couple in Salem, OR and I read about them online (their motto is 'purity in food'), so we were curious how good the products would actually be...



AMAZING. I have to say that Audrey drinks whole milk--so you expect it to be creamy. But PEOPLE, if you are used to nonfat tasting like 'the water the milk towers are rinsed with' (as a friend in DK says), then you have never tasted Noris nonfat.
Oh.my.gosh. this stuff is so TASTY and creamy(but not gaggy), you would actually think that you were indulging. And the fresh whipping cream has an indescribable decadence and flavor. The yogurt is European style, and Audrey thoroughly approves. They also sell organic ice-cream, beef and cheese.)

The milk and cream is in supple glass bottles and EVERYTHING!

And get this: it's no more expensive than your local grocery store! I placed my order via phone, with owner Franz Noris (my new dairy guru) who talked me out of transitioning Audrey to 2% (which someone recently told me I needed to do); he said that he is in his late 60's, has lived on the richest farm-fresh dairy, and his doctor says he has the health (cholesterol, blood pressure, etc.) of a young man. In fact, his doctor asked him how he can get such good health himself; Franz told him to consume full-fat dairy and stay away from American processed foods. (Not being a soy-expert, I was surprised to learn from Mr. Noris that soy-milk is a 'processed' food; I'd actually never thought about it. Needless to say, Dairy-Yoda, Franz, is mega-anti-soy.)

Must be tasted to be appreciated.
If you have a local dairy, you might consider giving them a try for the amazing quality and to support your local farmers.

I know what you are thinking and, no dear friends, a Subaru cannot be far behind.

But for now, we're off to Seattle to visit friends and clients...in the Ford Explorer. (Which, fyi because of it's small size, is surprisingly fuel-efficient by today's SUV standards.)

5 comments:

Kellyry said...

I've never been a milk drinker but when I did in Denmark it tasted completely different than it does here; much creamier and richer there. Did Franz have any explanation for why his milk is so much better? Better quality cows? Grass they eat? The weather?

(Love the Subaru connection.)

Molly W. said...

When I was growing up (in WA) we used to have milk delivered to our house every Thursday...ahh the memories. :)
While living in Bass Lake I felt totally "out of it" for not driving a subaru or a truck and now you too might join the subaru craze! How quickly we adapt eh?

DeniseMarie said...

I just know it will make Matt's day when he sees Subarus mentioned in your post. :) I can't wait to come visit and try your tasty new milk--as you know, milk is my All-Time-Number-One-Favorite-Drink. YUM. I want to see pictures of the actual milk bottles.

Anonymous said...

Will the Obama sticker be a standard feature on the Subaru? Sheesh!

Matt said...

Yay Subaru!

You know Brandi, you can avoid kind of avoid the "hippy-ness" of the Subaru by getting a WRX. It has the Subaru cache and it does 0-60 in 4.8 seconds :P

On topic however, I had access to fresh dairy milk as a kid, and I remember it tasting so much better than milk from the store. What is REALLY different to me however, is eggs. If you can get eggs that are right from the farm fresh, you won't regret it.

Matt M