Friday, May 30, 2008

A poem.

It is extremely difficult to 'translate' art of any kind. So I hope that the phenomenal Danish poet, Benny Andersen, will forgive me for attempting to give you some of his words in English. But they are so beautiful, so poignant, that I cannot resist.

About Time

It's about time
the water's boiling
the earth is burning
the world is waiting
when Alexander was Caesar's age
he was already The Great
when Caesar was my age, he was already finished
they wasted no time
and time didn't waste them
they used time like a shirt
slept with it on
were buried in it
and here I sit
holding a newspaper
holding Christmas
holding back
letting opportunities pass me by
in hopeless resistance to discovery
the world doesn't wait
when Mozart was 5 years old
when Jesus was 12
when Columbus raised his anchor
when Homer
when Rembrandt
when Pasteur
when Darwin
when Dalgas
when Da Vinci
when Gama
Damocles
it's about time
it's way past the time
my hat
my coat
my pant-leg fasteners
it's now or never

If this were a cheesy radio station, I would dedicate this poem to Marian, Gitte, Michela, Aarhus....and Denmark. I am always missing you. and you are always in my heart.

1 comment:

DeniseMarie said...

What a great poem. And I must say, you did a fine job with the translation.