Friday, May 30, 2008

Teitur and Sambo's

There is so much to love in Danish culture--old and new. But if you don't know the musician Teitur, you are REALLY missing out. In fact, he and his band played at the Doug Fir Lounge last night and we were SO lucky to see the show. He was OUTSTANDING. Both M and I were seriously impressed. Wow, what a talent. You really see what people are made of in live shows and Teitur is just so freaking talented... and HAPPY...and funky.
And for those who might be curious- he likes girls.



BTW- little did we know: apparently the Doug Fir is one of the coolest spots in PDX. This is strange, because it happens to us again and again. So we asked ourselves: how is it that we seem to coincidentally end up at all the coolest places? I guess we are just THAT cool. What else can we conclude? We aren't really ready for the consequences of what this epiphany means. We aspire to be like the desert fathers and Brennan Manning, but can't seem to escape being sucked into the cool-vacuum. And before you protest--I think the desert fathers would have really dug Teitur. Advice anyone? Another BTW- this restaurant and lounge was originally a Sambo's Restaurant, way, way back when. Does anybody else remember Sambo's? My most vivid memory of the place was an ice-cream dish I was extremely fond of; I wish I knew exactly what it was; it was something with little animal crackers stuck on top of it.) But I digress.

Teitur's music is quirky, eclectic and difficult to describe. I got to know him in DK (he's from the Faroen islands) and he's HUGE in Europe, little known in the States. He has a new album out this May called 'The Singer' (which we haven't listened to yet)--but we highly recommend 'Poetry and Aeroplanes'. Last night Teitur called his two biggest hits in the U.S. 'teenager songs to be found on mix tapes'; whatever he calls it, I love them (songs, 'Josephine' (about a childhood playmate) and 'I was just thinkin'.)

Aside from the aforementioned ballads, his style is difficult to describe. That band was SURE having fun, let's just say that.

Check 'em out.

Oh--and opening for Teitur--a girl we'd never heard of who was FANTASTIC--Jessie Baylin. Also hard to describe...kind of Norah Jones but even more soulful and eclectic. Amazing voice, great stage presence and fantastic songs (which I think were her own). Her first album comes out here in June. M and I are very curious how full productions of her songs will sound because Jessie and her guitarist were way more than enough to make us fans. Sometimes full-scale productions can overwhelm core talent and make it sound cliché. We'll see....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sambo's! What a blast from the past. I remember eating at Sambo's in Palm Springs. How politically incorrect was that place? It even had "little black Sambo" on the menu!

DeniseMarie said...

Thanks for sharing--hopefully they're on iTunes so I can check them both out tonight.

I remember Sambo's with fondness, too. I recall my favorite dish had something to do with pancakes, but I don't remember it exactly. I think they made faces on them or something with whipped cream and fruit.

Kellyry said...

How funny; someone mentioned this restaurant to me just this weekend. I don't remember ever eating there.

Eager to check out Teitur!