Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mothers



"Making the decision to have a child is momentous.
It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
~Elizabeth Stone


How true that is.
Happy Mothers Day to the mommy's reading our blog!
In no particular order: Mom, Chris, Laurie, Gigi, Kirsten, Gitte, Michela, Diane, Jeanie, Swanny, Deanna, Yesenia, Lone, Erika, Lone, Dina, Pearl, Laurel, Julie, Mindy, Jill, Phoebe, Molly, Abby, and anyone else I may have forgotten--so very, very sorry.

For me, this day has been a precious celebration of the gift of being Audrey's mommy. Embarking on the journey of mothering, has been one of the most exciting and stretching chapters of my life. I could never have imagined how rich life could be despite less time, sleep and freedom than prior chapters. Though I admit being ready for a break by the time bedtime rolls around each night, I also confess to actually missing my little girl while she sleeps-- and looking forward to cuddling her warm little body every morning. What an honor to welcome and shepherd such a miracle through life.

A few other fun quotes on motherhood...

The sweetest sounds to mortals given
Are heard in Mother, Home, and Heaven.
~William Goldsmith Brown

Hundreds of dewdrops to greet the dawn,
Hundreds of bees in the purple clover,
Hundreds of butterflies on the lawn,
But only one mother the wide world over.
~George Cooper

A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie. ~Tenneva Jordan

It would seem that something which means poverty, disorder and violence every single day should be avoided entirely, but the desire to beget children is a natural urge. ~Phyllis Diller

Who fed me from her gentle breast
And hushed me in her arms to rest,
And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
My Mother.
~Anne Taylor

"Can a mother forget the baby at her breast
and have no compassion on the child she has borne?
Though she may forget,
I will not forget you!

16 See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;
your walls are ever before me."

- Isaiah 49: 15 &16

4 comments:

DeniseMarie said...

Happy Mother's Day to you, my friend. Audrey is such a blessed little girl to have you as a mother.

Kellyry said...

Happy Mother's day to one of the most authentic mothers I know. I appreciate your honesty about the joys and the trials. It makes me look forward to motherhood someday.

b said...

Thanks you guys.

Molly W. said...

Yeah for mothers day! :)