Thursday, January 3, 2008

Princess Denise



Denise, is a true princess in our eyes. Normally, the word conjures a diva connotation in my mind, so I don't use it often. But Denise is a princess in the best sense of the word: regal, dignified, and beloved by everyone who knows her. Sharp as a whip, witty, funny, creative, beautiful--and a friend as true as they come. It has been my pleasure to call her friend since we were in Junior High.

Her birthday is on New Years Eve, so we were privileged to celebrate it with her and her darling husband, also much adored in this house: Matthew. It was a super-fun and cozy evening...


...which started with a reading of a new Robert Frost book brought for Audrey


...and some essential appetizers...



which were clearly enjoyed. Then, little punkin' went to bed.


...And the adults started to play Wii: Dance Revolution.


If you've never played this, you absolutely MUST try it some time. It is SUPER fun--and this is coming from someone who looked like an absolute fool trying to keep up.





Then, to help us better keep the rhythm, Dean broke out the Parrot Bay.
Uh, just in case your wondering, rum and coke does not aid agility in video games.

Since none of us thought we would stay awake past 9pm, it was decided that we would delay dinner to help our efforts to make the midnight countdown. It actually worked! Around 9, we started cooking a light meal of chicken fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans, followed by a crazy lemon cake/dessert that may just have skooched passed the very fine line between decadence and excessiveness (lemon cake layers separated by cheesecake, frosted in lemon buttercream and crusted with vanilla crumb topping. I liked it, but not sure that it was a hit with anyone else. Definitely something best served in thin slices that leave you wanting more, rather than hefty wedges that leave you begging for a colon cleanse.)



Aren't these love birds just SO cute?
Happy New Year everyone! And may 2008 be your best year yet, D!

4 comments:

DeniseMarie said...

Hooray! We had such a fantastic time celebrating with you guys, and you're wrong about the dessert not being a hit--I liked it, too. But you didn't figure out until after you'd served huge slices to me, Matt, and Mike that less was more on that rich, decadent, sugar extravaganza of a birthday cake! Thank you for loving me and for all the thougtful and creative things you did to make my birthday special and memorable. It will go down in history as one of my best.

PS: I've been practicing on the DDR and have now received many "A"s....look out, I'm a dancing queen!

DeniseMarie said...

Ok, I just realized that in the last shot of Matt and me hugging, the "kilo of heroin" makes an appearance. I had to laugh at that. And say that I'm officially addicted. You should feel my cuticles and elbows--smooth as baby butts!

Kellyry said...

Ummm...ok...Is this where I arrange an intervention? Um, Heroin???!!??

That cake truly looks DECADENT. You had me a "vanilla crumb topping"

Molly W. said...

happy birthday Denise! Looked like a fabulous evening...