Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Candy Revelations



Two very meaningful life lessons have been revealed to me via candy metaphors:



First, I realized that you are definitely reaching maturation when you start preferring Peanut M&M's over the plain kind. As a kid (or even adult under age 30), there is no way in heck I would eat these nasty things, for several reasons. For one thing, peanuts are nearly a vegetable. Who wants vegetables in their candy? For another, the crunch candy shell to sickening sweet chocolate ratio is much higher. Anyway, I realized that I am seriously getting old when, tonight, the salty/sweet combo appealed to me above plain.



The second, is that Mike compared the lure of materialism and constant acquisition of new possessions, as akin to chewing Hubba Bubba gum.

Remember HB? Or Bubbalicious? So insanely yummy-- soft, squishy, and perfectly tasty. For about 30 seconds before it's flavorless and tough.

2 comments:

Molly W. said...

I agree 100% about the m&ms.

Kellyry said...

I've almost always preferred peanut M&M's to plain, even when I was young. I've just always been so mature, I guess.

;-)

And to Mike's metaphor...deep, so deep. And true.