Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Confessions of a famous mommy blogger

The following are passages are from an article entitled , 'Confessions of a mommy blogger,' published in the February issue of Wondertime magazine. Written by Catherine Newman, who apparently has several parenting blogs, the article had me rolling with laughter. I'll definitely have to check out her blogs. But in the meantime, here are some pieces of Newman's wisdom on blogging:

On connecting:
"If there's a single fact to take from the 70 million blogs that inhabit the Internet it's this: Whoever you are--however thrilled or frantic, bored or despairing, buoyant or afflicted with love like an aching in your bones--someone out there understands. Especially if you're a mother. Someone out there is still awake with a restless toddler. Someone out there has swigged the last of the cooking sherry, or dotted a nursing newborn with Doritos fallout. And someone is writing about it."

Postcards from the Edge
"It's the dirty details, the follies and foibles, that satisfy the sharpest bloggy cravings...The blog entries of mine that people like best: the time we forgot to strap Ben into his car seat because we were too buys splitting a raspberry Danish; the time I left baby Birdy in tears, waiting to be nursed while I shoveled cold and guilty mac n cheese into my face, which I called the equivalent of 'putting on your own oxygen mask before assisting others.'

Blogging is the underbelly of scrapbooking, its tantruming, scatalogical doppelganger...If scrapbooking is the urge to put it all together, blogging might be the urge to take it all apart. Blogging might not make life tidier, but it keeps life in your memory, and keeps it real."

B here: I have never scrapbooked and I never will. Who has the patience to spend 2 hours and $20 on one page? I can't even get it together and get pictures developed. The closest I come is putting together a digital photo book.

On what she's not blogging about
"Some of the most significant events in our lives are ones I haven't been able to write about--friends who've been gravely ill, others who've divorced--and I always feel strange about that, waffling on about string cheese while my heart is breaking. Similarly, I don't tend to write about the darkest places in my relationship with Michael because, well, my relationship is at stake. But as a result Michael often sounds kind of sickly perfect (which he often kind of is). I never fret publicly about my parents aging because they are as hale and hearty as oxen, not to mention they are loyal readers and would kill me. (Being read by one's parents changes things, doesn't it? When I use the word 'bong', even jokingly, I cringe.)"

On being a famous blogger:
"Do I worry about being stalked? I always laugh when people ask that; the only people who stalk me wear dirty nursing bras and mashed yams. They are, in other words, my people."

1 comment:

Kellyry said...

I like the scrapbooking metaphor...very true! The posts I appreciate most by others are the nitty gritty, the down & dirty, the humanity, and blogging allows people to do that in a humorous way.

And yes, knowing your parents read does change what you write.