Friday, October 12, 2007

Quick but healthy tomato soup


Most of you know that I am not big on shortcut foods. Of course, we like our occasional box of KMAC as much as the rest, but it isn't a regular occurance in our home. I enjoy cooking and taking the time to prepare real food is just a daily priority. Frequently consulted for culinary advice, I never blog about my own cooking or post recipes. This is mainly because I only consult recipes for inspiration, and then go off and do my own thing so it is very difficult to repeat.

One of the things most people comment on is how 'unpicky' our 14-month old daughter is. Probably, this is because her first food was plain yogurt and we serve her, pretty much whatever we are having. As such, her taste buds are as accustomed to curry and garlic, as they are to cheese. As our Pediatrician says, 'the day you're fighting over food, you've already lost the battle.' I really believe this. Now, this is not to say that kids aren't allowed to have preferences--just like we all do. But I truly believe that the reason most kids (and adults!) are picky, is because they were not exposed to a variety of foods. And--call me cruel, I do believe that if you are hungry enough, you will eat whatever is being served. And for the record--I am NOT a die-hard vegan or anything even close to that. I try, simply, to serve tasty, wholesome, homemade food the majority of the time. I use real butter and EVOO, always.

Anyways, recently I discovered a super easy and healthy shortcut for tomato soup--and it is so nice to have a few super-quick dishes for those nights when you just don't have time to cook and the alternative will be KMAC or pizza.

Easy-peezy tomato soup: Simply spice up Organic V8 (use the low-sodium version if you're on a L.S. diet) with some freshly pressed garlic, chopped parsley, a swirl of EVOO, and a dash of salt and pepper (or if you are really in a hurry, use a spoonful of Pesto or Pistou). Since none of us are on a diet, or have cholesterol issues, I add a splash of cream too. Garnish with croutons and a handful of cheese--Or serve with grilled cheese. Super easy and a yummy way to get a ton of veggies and calcium in a flash.

P.S. This is yummy--trust me. I couldn't otherwise gag down a glass of cold V8, or a Bloody Mary if you paid me.

6 comments:

DeniseMarie said...

I've always loved the idea of tomato soup, but I just don't like it. Let me try and put my finger on what it is I don't care for so that maybe you can offer suggestions for tweaking your recipe in a way that would increase the chances of my liking it (since Matt luuurves soup of all kinds and I'm always blah about it and therefore rarely make it)......Ok, I just spent the last 5 minutes dwelling on what, exactly, it is that turns me off: 1) the overwhelming taste of, uhm, tomatoes? Every time I've tried it, the predominant flavor has been that of a somewhat watery, flat, semi-sweet, uninteresting tomato juice. I long for more depth of flavor, some kick, etc. 2) Uhm.....I can't think of anything else. Tomato soup tastes like tomatoes. Can you offer a culinary solution for that?

b said...

Oops, I am pasting my comment about tomato soup here, where I meant to put it: Too funny! Well, I have to admit that I am surprised you don't like tomato soup if you love Spaghettios. In fact, the other day I made a dish for Audrey with the leftover tomato soup, just adding cooked egg noodles to it and to me it tasted exactly like I remember spaghettios!

Tomato soup does, admittedly, taste like tomatoes. Personally I didn't start liking tomatoes until I was about 25 and now I love them.

You might try this soup, and add some noodles and may be even 'little smokies' or chorizo and make it a full-on dish. Perhaps you would like it like that? What got me hooked on tomatoes was Caprese salad and Bruschetta. From there, I eased into eating them alone or as soup!

P.S. A touch of cream (or a slice of cream cheese) really also transforms any soup into a more satisfying meal, in my opinion.

b said...

Oh--and one more thing: you might try adding more seasonings; the Pesto really adds a kick to it.

Anonymous said...

Who do I get to blame for my picky eating now???

:-)

Kellyry said...

I don't like tomato soup either, finding it also too tomato-y. I don't mind a melange of flavors, including tomatoes in a tomato-based-broth, in say, a hearty vegetable soup or minestrone (YUM), but I just can't stomach a bowl of tomato puree.

I've never been a fan of spaghettios because of the sauce, so at least I'm consistent!

b said...

Matt: You may blame your parents.

From this point in your life and moving forward, you may blame yourself. :)

We still love you.