Saturday, October 6, 2007

Getting back together with breakfast


Coffee, cranberry sunflower bread toasted with organic peach spread and Havarti cheese.
-Photo borrowed from Jen, Simply Breakfast.)

People are amazing and unique and creative. Seeing the things that people come up with inspires and makes me smile.

Life with a one-year old affords me little time to check out blogs of people we don't know, but I've finally looked up a list of food blogs I jotted down at least 6 months ago.

As of today, I've 2 new favorites: Simply Breakfast and the Yummy Mummy.

Simply Breakfast



Breakfast (and it's sister/best friend, Brunch) is my absolute favorite meal of the day. Since our precious Audrey was born, I've definitely neglected my passionate breakfast affair. If I eat anything at all, it's usually scarfed without heart or appetite, while I feed my baby daughter; a very sad development, indeed. I take full responsibility for the breakfast break-up. I even said, 'it's not you--it's me.' And it was true.

Jen (author of Simply Breakfast) may have reminded me that I need to get back on track with breakfast. She takes beautiful photos of her simple, yet stunning and mouth-watering breakfasts every day.

Breakfast can be so many things...eggs a million ways, breakfast sandwiches, incredible artisan bread with havarti & jam, yogurt with homemade granolas, baked fruits, fresh fruits, buttery croissants, scones, etc. etc.

Breakfast isn't just a meal, it's a state of mind. And attitude. A priority. A value. Taking time to enjoy breakfast--no matter how simple it may be, has a way of setting the tone for an entire day. Along the lines of that famous saying regarding prayer: 'I am so busy that I don't have time not to pray.' Yes, it is very much in the same vein. Prayer and breakfast go together for me.

(A side note...wishing I was a focused-enough person to have a one-subject blog; it would definitely be about food, not prayer. My experience is summed up in John Bunyan's words: "In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart.")

The Yummy Mummy



This is the blog of a mommy of two young kids, dedicated to gourmet cooking and giving her children a love of 'real food.' The Yummy Mummy has hilarious stories about her quest in daily preparation of tasty, wholesome and sense-awakening meals.

It's been my passion to do this very thing for Audrey. We fundamentally disagree with the modern American assumption that mac-n-cheese and chicken fingers are a foregone staple of a child's diet. While every food has a time and place (including the aforementioned), it's such a shame to deprive kids of rich culinary experiences just because they are easily fed with bland, convenience foods. Of course kids will prefer these things if that's all they are ever exposed to!

How fun to read the adventures of other mummy's on culinary adventures with their children!

2 comments:

Molly W. said...

Hey B,
have you heard of Mrs. Seinfeld's (Jerry's wife) new cookbook for kiddos? (I think adults too maybe) called "Deceptively Delicious"? Apparently its got some good tips for getting kids to eat healthy even though they don't know they are....(apparently esp helpful if kids don't like veggies)...i must admit, after seeing it on Oprah I was intrigued. :)

b said...

Hi Molly!
No, I haven't heard of that; will definitely have to check it out!

b