Friday, October 12, 2007

Dirty Little Food Secret

On the heels of self-righteous blog prose bashing picky eaters and extolling the virtues of cooking gourmet and healthful cuisine, methinks it appropriate, in the name of personal-authenticity, to reveal my very own dirty little food secret. You know, that one food that you cherish but that is so embarrassing to admit?!


Mine is Weinershnitzel chili cheese dogs. It has been my favorite since childhood. Disgustingly processed and artificial as they may be, only a true WCCD connoisseur appreciates the flavor symphony arising from the delicate bun, gooey processed cheese that sticks to your teeth and the roof of your mouth, together with that je-ne-sais quoi chili and salty mystery-pork-product-'hotdog'. Denise, can I get an 'amen?!'


Wow--pushing the boundaries of taste. As a consultant in the marketing & advertising world, this claim intrigues me as ambiguously amusing--and quite courageous. I mean, Blood sausage also pushes the boundaries of taste. That's not necessarily a good thing.

So what's your DLFS? We wanna know!

3 comments:

DeniseMarie said...

AMEN, my sister in gooey, cheesy, chili-doggy goodness loving!

I have so many DLFSs in addition to WCCDs that there isn't room here to list them all. But I will confess to this one: Spaghettio's with Franks. Oh lordy, the other day on the Food Network we saw some show on how Spaghettio's are made and ever since then I've been craving them like mad. Back when I used to have a Sam's Club card, every once in a while I'd buy a big old pack of them, promising myself I'd ration the cans out over the span of several months. And, well, then I wouldn't and they'd be gone in 2 weeks.

b said...

Too funny! Well, I have to admit that I am surprised you don't like tomato soup if you love Spaghettios. In fact, the other day I made a dish for Audrey with the leftover tomato soup, just adding cooked egg noodles to it and to me it tasted exactly like I remember spaghettios!

Tomato soup does, admittedly, taste like tomatoes. Personally I didn't start liking tomatoes until I was about 25 and now I love them.

You might try this soup, and add some noodles and may be even 'little smokies' or chorizo and make it a full-on dish. Perhaps you would like it like that? What got me hooked on tomatoes was Caprese salad and Bruschetta. From there, I eased into eating them alone or as soup!

P.S. A touch of cream (or a slice of cream cheese) really also transforms any soup into a more satisfying meal, in my opinion.

Kellyry said...

Hmmmmmm...Not sure if I have any SECRET food obsessions. My love of Kraft Original Mac & Cheese is well known and documented, as is my love of pizza and bean & cheese burritos, none of which are gourmet. If I think of something I'll get back to you.