Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Book Review: The Bible

Just kidding. It would be a bit ambitious to review the Holy Scriptures, assigning a certain number of stars or thumbs up/down.

It took me a long time to decide whether I was ok with the idea of replacing my beloved but falling-apart Bible with a new one. Actually, I've acquired other copies here and there, but always end up reaching for the familiar one with the worn pages and excessive highlighting. Until earlier this year, when I finally felt, for many reasons, that it was time to start afresh. So, uncomfortable as it was, I began the search for my new Bible. Deciding on which version to choose was very difficult, but I felt that something different than NIV would be good for a new perspective. Also, my former Bible was quite large and heavy which (realistically) has implications for how often you carry it with you, as realized after I splurged for a laptop in the ultra-light category 4 years ago (the thing goes everywhere.) At the same time, let's be honest: if the print is too small, headaches will also put a limit on reading.

My final choice: large print compact Holman CSB. And I am loooving it! The print, while not huge, is decent and the largest font size available in a compact sized Bible. It weighs only 13 oz. and is 6 1/2" x 4.7". After much deliberation, I decided on the Holman version for it's nice balance in literal versus thought-for-thought translation.

1 comment:

Kellyry said...

I have felt the same way when replacing my worn-out/spine-has-fallen-off Bibles. I would hold on to most of them, at least for several years, because it felt so wrong to just throw away the Holy Bible. Eventually I do, but still feel weird about it.

I love the compact versions too.