Friday, August 31, 2007

Signs



Thank you, Deanna. My friend encouraged us to use baby signs as a way of communicating with Audrey, so that she can communicate with us before she is able to verbalize. Instead of getting frustrated, it is SO cool that our tiny little 1 year old can tell us that she is hungry, thirsty, wants to hear music, hears the phone ringing, sees a dog...or any other animal.

The dog thing brings me to an even deeper insight that this recently gave me: Audrey is learning the signs from me. Oh sure, every once in a while she will make up a sign herself, but mostly, she is limited to using the vocabulary I am able to give her.

This reminded me of a serious responsibility that I have to expand, enhance and improve my own life 'vocabulary'. A book I read about parenting explained that children 'read' from their parents what is good and acceptable and are, in many ways, limited to the emotional vocabulary that their mom and dad possess. This makes a ton of sense, explaining why so many of us find ourselves stunted in a particular area and how it never works to stuff baggage under the rug. Now, of course we need to take responsibility for our own growth as empowered adults--which brings me back to my original point: the only animal sign that I have learned thus far is 'dog.' As such, poor little animal-obsessed Audrey has only one pathetic sign to tell us about all the creatures she sees. And she calls them all dogs.

With Gods grace and help, I am reminded of the power and responsibility to give our daughter the healthiest and most comprehensive repertoire possible.

2 comments:

Kellyry said...

Not to disregard the metaphorical nature of this post, but I have to say that my heart melts every time see my little Audrey pat her belly to indicate that she is hungry. For some reason it makes me sad and brings this rush of protectiveness. It reminds me of how dependent the wee ones are on us as adults, to care for them, love them. It also makes me sad to think of children starving, figuratively patting their bellies repeatedly without any food coming their way. I'm sad as I type this.

b said...

Yes, so sad to think of these little people who are helpless to meet their own needs. I think that's why my heart especially breaks at the thought that we in the wealthy West actually could rid the world of abject poverty. We just don't want to. Or rather, we want stuff more.