Thursday, August 2, 2007

Saint Hans



I am envious. What you see above are our dear friends, Anne Marie and Marian at their local beach, Bellevue on the evening of Saint Hans. Also known as Midsummer or Summer Solstice, it is absolutely one of my all-time favorite days in Denmark--if not the favorite. The longest day of the year, the sun barely goes down at this time, which is probably why it is so widely celebrated in Northern Europe. On this evening, the coast is packed and lined with people who light bonfires, sing folk-songs, grill hotdogs and snobroed (bread dough wrapped around a stick and baked in a campfire), and generally watch the sun not go down. It is so EXTREMELY hyggeligt that I am envious that we were unable to partake in this year's festivities.

(Scandinavians just have completely different ideas about fire safety. One year I had the pleasure of celebrating St. Hans while Norway for a good friends wedding. Her family has a farm on a little island called 'Haus' just outside Bergen. Holy cow, I have never seen a bonfire that huge. I'm not kidding--it was gunormous. Like a small feel for the heat of hell--only set in the verdant hills of Norway, with rosy-cheeked Scandinavians, hotdogs, dancing and other merriment. Anyway, as many of you know, they also decorate their Christmas trees with real live candles. You gotta give it to them--they don't let fear dictate over tradition!)

2 comments:

Kellyry said...

Yummmmmm...snobroed! That's some good stuff. I think we should make it some time.

I have candles for my tree (that you gave me, I believe) but I've yet to actually like them. I should embrace some of that Scandinavian courage and light them this year.

DeniseMarie said...

Ooh, Kelly beat me to it on commenting about tree candles. I still decorate my tree every year with the candles you sent me from DK, and on maybe 2 or 3 occasions I have actually lit them. (Don't tell my dad!) Of course, it's a fake tree and therefore the fire danger is much lower, but still--it makes me feel like I'm living life to the fullest! And it's also extremely cozy and quaint.