Thursday, April 26, 2007

'Wowser'- Use it.



So I subscribe to the Webster 'word of the day.' How cool is it to discover one single concise word that you've been missing all your life? Here are two recent ones:

Wowser: an obtrusively puritanical person.
Example (Webster's) : "I'm no wowser, but I draw the line at abusive, foul-mouthed drunks."
* An interesting tidbit: Apparently, the word originated in Australia, spread to New Zealand and eventually ended up in England (probably via WWI troops) where American author/editor H.L Menken heard it. Menken loved the word and used it frequently back in the United States. Despite his efforts, it never caught on. Well the word 'network' didn't exist back when Menken was alive and he'd never met Kelly, Denise or Brandi who, I am convinced, will carry on his work and, without a doubt, succeed in spreading the power of 'wowser.'

Another good one from last week:

Johnny Barleycorn: Liquor personified
Example (mine): "Audrey may enjoy a Newcastle here and again, but she's no John Barleycorn."

2 comments:

Kellyry said...

Don't you LOVE Word-of-the-Day?! Its fun to learn new words! I'll do my best to incorporate Wowser into my vocab.

DeniseMarie said...

Me too, me too!