Monday, March 24, 2008

Turning to the West and East


Sunrise over Portland, Or

Do you know how 'Sunrise Services' originated? I didn't, until yesterday when the pastor at Glenkirk Pres. told this story--which I thought was so cool. Every year, on the anniversary of the Resurrection, the first Christians used to meet before sunrise. Just before the sun made it's appearance on the horizon, they would face West and renounce darkness and evil. Then, they would turn towards the sun as it rose and affirm, out loud, their embrace of The Light and the eternal life that the Resurrection had now made possible. How cool is that?

And all those years as a child, I just thought that it was some sort of cruel torture, having to get up early, sit outside in the freezing cold in my dorky Easter dress, goosebumps on my ice-cold legs adorned with dorky, frilly socks (which I will never make Audrey wear unless she wants to) and dress shoes--possibly also in a dorky Easter hat and gloves.

I love tradition and ritual when it is carried out with meaning, sincerity and conviction. I almost can't believe how much I disliked it in my early 20's, when I first encountered it in the Danish Lutheran church. It's such a shame that we have lost touch with so many deeply meaningful practices simply because some people conduct them without heart! I am forever indebted to Marian, who re-introduced me to the profoundly healing touch of God as my Father, as experienced in the more contemplative Christian traditions . How we desperately need to intimately know all sides of our God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit--and not one, to the exclusion of the others! How difficult it is to find a congregation where all sides of God are equally welcome.

For us this year, Easter Sunday was spent celebrating with family and friends...the McCormicks, B's fam (details in Kelly's posting) and later with Mike's fam.

He is risen. He is risen, indeed!
And may his Peace be with us all.

2 comments:

Kellyry said...

What great meaning! I'll have to find one next year. In the cold Chicago morning...

DeniseMarie said...

Amen and amen.