Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Neck-ed.

Yes, indeed Audrey is growing and changing right before our very eyes. Physically, she's grown 2 inches and 2 pounds over the past few months. Developmentally, she does new things with every passing day. As you might have read on SpaceLady's recent posting, she is an avid and open-minded (some might call it naughty) reader, considering her young age.

New feats include undesirable abilities as well. Mid-day Easter, she was laid down for a much-needed nap in her porta-crib at the McCormick house. About 15 minutes into this, we heard her fuss, and then cry (as is occasionally her custom when something wakens her or she just decides that suddenly she no longer needs to sleep). After a few minutes of waiting, there was no sign that her crying was subsiding, so I decided to go up and check on the babe.

At the top of the stairwell, the pungent and distinct odor of #2 hit me like a slap in the face. 'Ok,' I thought. 'That explains the crying. She needs a diaper change' Nothing could have prepared me for what I would see in that next moment: my 19-month old daughter stretched out, naked as the day she was born, pacifier in mouth, stuffed kitten in her clutch--poop-filled diaper lying on the floor, outside the crib. She had simply ripped it off and thrown that disgusting article out of her world. A potty-training sign from heaven? Peut-ĂȘtre.

Potty training in the middle of a move and right before a long road trip was not in my plans. Can it wait? Advice anyone?

8 comments:

DeniseMarie said...

Can you imagine having a mid-potty-training 19-month-old on a drive from so Cal to Portland??? Gads, banish the thought. Unless you got on it ASAP, she picked it up right away, and you could get by with Pull-Ups on the long roadtrip. Carol read a book--don't know the title--about poitty training in three days. The author said that 22 months was the ideal age, and some of the principles outlined in the book (as told to me by Carol) seemed to make a lot of sense. Perhaps it's worth a try.

DeniseMarie said...

And may I say, Audrey, thank you for throwing your diaper onto my office carpet poopy side up?

Anonymous said...

You'd want to verify w/my bride - who is much better qualified to discuss - but I seem to remember Sarah displaying, (fortunately for us)less obvious signs of being ready to potty train. At the time, we were moving too. My recommendation is to skip for now - traveling in diapers is MUCH better for road trips! There'll be another window of opportunity later. Potty training is a mixed blessing, you know.

Molly W. said...

Adam's aunt swears by a book that she used to potty train all 4 of her kids in 1 day! I can email her and ask her for the book title if you care? :)

Kellyry said...

I have no advice save logical arguments which argue in both directions. If you can get on this & get it done right away--as in the next 2 weeks--perhaps try it, if not, then I say wait.

Abby... the Oregonian said...

i say wait. yes, it's true that girls will train at an earlier age than boys, but i have never heard of a little girl training this early unless you are asian and they sit them on the potty at like 2 months old!

the move and change will probably set her back anyways and most every child goes thru a stage of taking off their diaper in their crib. just be thankful that she did not wipe the poop all over the place. that is usually what happens.

Anonymous said...

Benjamin has done this same thing numerous times. I even had a nice painting for me when I went into his room. I can't put him into the crib without pants or shorts on cause he will rip that diaper off. I think a lot of times a poopy diaper irritates and they just want it off. I say hold off because she is still pretty young. I have heard if you try too young they sometimes will regress. We haven't tackled that yet although I hear boys sometimes are slower at it.

b said...

Thanks for the advice, everyone. We're going to wait.