Sunday, March 16, 2008

Family of 5?



This weekend, we have test-driven what it would be like to be a family of 5. Faith and Jeziah came to stay with us, while their parents were in Fresno--these are two really wonderful and cool kids.

The weekend entailed a windy trip to the park, Girl Scout cookies (those new Lemonade ones rock), charades, a home-spa day for the girls and Dr. Seuss for the boys, the game 'would you rather...', church followed by lunch at the only place that can get away charging $12/pp serving all-you-can-eat-dog-food-for-humans. This is not the place to go if you are even remotely close to losing your faith in humanity. But kids dig it so....anyhow...




I see now why people say that, on the one hand, having several kids is easier than just having one, because they do play together. Audrey was in absolute heaven. At the same time, I can't imagine how parents withstand the constant interaction. How can one pay sincere, constant, non-stop attention to this many people, without becoming a nervous wreck? Seriously: there is always someone who wants you to 'watch this!' and 'do this with me!' and 'help me do this', etc. And none of it is unreasonable or anything like that. Just three very sweet, normal children. Still, it's just alot. Or may be I'm just too old, or something. Is this why some people turn to mother Vodka? But what do the non-drinkers do? Is having 'just' one child really all that cruel? Doesn't it count as some sort of charitable community service to be the cool neighbor with just one kid and who's not having a nervous breakdown, but who often invites the other kids over to play (and then gleefully send them home again)? These are questions I will continue to ponder and welcome your comments on. (Lurkers, come on and commit yourselves.)



Home spa day was just what we girls needed (although we could have used your services, Julie B.!) First we started out with the spa-lunch of champions (Weinershnitzel, of course.)


Then some yoga, fresh fruit, tea, cucumber & orange flavored water...






Exfoliation, facial masks, herbal baths...something for everyone.



Meanwhile, the boys saw :




These beautiful blooms would indicate Spring, but believe it or not, it also snowed several inches Saturday!

7 comments:

Kellyry said...

Looks fun!

DeniseMarie said...

What a cool babysitter you are!

Access to Empowerment Adventures said...

you are too funny! more than 1 kid is difficult, but rewarding. I've learned God gives us more patience than we could have ever thought possible. But, having 1 child is good, too. Whatever He wants for you!

Phoebe said...

I just always felt sorry for the kids that were only-children. I still do. They sometimes have a warped sense of reality. Or maybe their parents had a warped sense of reality. Hard to say.
(No offesnse to any only-children out there)

b said...

Erika: Yes, I suppose that is the correct thing to say/think....

Phoebe: You are right about the sense of reality thing (no offense to those only children!) but you still didn't tell me how you do it without alcohol.

Phoebe said...

You have to remember that I was raised with 5 brothers and sisters.
Chaos is normal. And I have an unusually helpful husband.

As for the alcohol,
I've never had any, so maybe it would help, but since my religion prohibits imbibing, I guess I am stuck with chocolate:)

Abby... the Oregonian said...

brandi, this IS most definatly why i drink the vodka, AND why my posts are so "debbie downer". i never feel like i have enough of me to give around. but, it's worth all the heart ache, i think. more kids = more fun, more energy and more people to take care of me when i am old.