Saturday, June 16, 2007

Concert Review: John Mayer @ the Bowl



Imagine my surprise when my husband secretly secured us tickets to see John Mayer (and Ben Folds!) at the Hollywood Bowl. For those who are not familiar with it, the Bowl is not only the best idea that Los Angeles had, but certainly the top concert venue in the area. First of all, when sitting at the Bowl, your view is unspoiled California hillside (nevermind the fact that heinous traffic of the 101 FWY roars just outside).

Secondly, a concert at the Bowl is not only fabulous music, but wine and dine al fresco dining as well--either at one of the many picnic sites surrounding the venue or right in your seat!!! I mean, how cool is that?!!! We picked up our dinner on-site from one of Patina's restaurants.



Ben Folds opened the shindig...What a musician!!!!!!!!!!! Additionally, his talent, charisma, wit and sense of humor really stole the stage. In a lament about how nowadays nobody really listens to lyrics anyways, he set Dr. Dre lyrics 'Bitches can't hang with the streets' to his own soulful music. The result was HILARIOUS.

John Mayer was just 100% over-the-top AMAZING. Words cannot do his performance justice.

The once young couple, now decidedly aged, enjoy an evening alone....



Something missing from this pic? Now that we have Audrey, we always sense her absence and think of her sweet little self. At the same time, we have to admit that we enjoy our time alone as well.

A gorgeous evening.

3 comments:

Coconuts said...

I HEART the Bowl! My first concert was a Jackson 5 concert in 1971! It was fantastic. Then Elton in 1973...I still have the t-shirt they gave away! Looking at your pictures brought back many wonderful memories and I could feel the "feeling" of the Bowl!

Kellyry said...

The Bowl really is an amazing venue. A MUST for experiencing LA culture. I'm sad to not have my season tickets this summer. :-(

DeniseMarie said...

I'm envious! Ages ago Matt said he'd "look into" tickets for that show, but I don't know what happened with that.....I'll have to take him to task now. We do have two other nights at the Bowl coming up, though--the Sgt. Pepper's 40th anniversary concert in August and Rufus Wainwright in September. We can't wait to use the picnic backpack my folks gave us for Christmas.