Thursday, February 7, 2008

Super-Flu Sunday



Ok, wasn't gonna go here, but sister: you have thrown down with your comment on Spacelady's blog and trying to shirk responsibility as the carrier. Yes, you were strongly encouraged to attend by certain guys (who are currently hacking). In response to your 'argument', I was sick with a cold last week--not the flu--and abstained from several fun events during the week, so as not to infect anyone.

This is absolutely my all-time #1 Pet-Peeve and I must rant because I've been wanting to for about 2 years: people, when you are sick with a contagious illness, stay home for gosh sake. Last year, on this very same Super Bowl Sunday weekend, I was sick with a flu and stayed home, so as not to infect anyone. May be this is why I escaped this round (good karma) or may be it will overtake me at any moment (just deserts/ fatalism/realism) (please God, no.)

This is why I simply do not understand arriving at many functions where people, who shall remain nameless, came with wicked coughs, the chills, and straight out knew they had a flu or similar, but valiantly proclaimed: "I'm just staying over here (1 foot away) so no one gets what I have." Seriously? Seriously? Or their kids cough on my baby and inadvertently let it slip that they have a fever or have been sick all week but their mom's decided to go to the get-together anyway.

Come on, people. I have talked to Mike's Nanna about this and it seems to be a recent warped societal phenomenon, in the same busted vein with people who are strapped for cash buying Coach handbags. If you're sick, stay home. If you feel like you are getting sick, stay home. If your kid is sick and has a fever and you gave them Tylenol and now they are hopping around just fine, this does not mean that they are well or no longer contagious, it just means that they are drugged. If people volunteer to come to your house, bring you soup, etc., let them do it because they know what they are getting into. But do not attend parties, send your kids to school, etc. unless everyone who you'll be around knows the risk they are facing and is ok with it. You will not die from missing a few days of school, work, or a family get together. No, you cannot possibly avoid all illness. But you can avoid spreading it when you know you are sick. If everyone was a little more considerate, we'd all be sick a heck of a lot less. Wanna know why it seems like everyone gets more flus these days? Because everyone gets more flus these days and STILL GO OUT. SUCK IT UP AND STAY HOME, PEOPLE.

P.S. I still love you to the moon and back, sister. And if I lived down the street from you, I would still bring you chicken soup and oranges.

1 comment:

DeniseMarie said...

I started commenting here, but my comment got so long I realized it would be more appropriate to post on my own blog, which I will do shortly. Hope M and A are feeling better. We made it through the darkness and light is in sight....